Saturday, February 9, 2013

Week 1 - Gardening Season Begins

Starting up my blog after a few posts last year. My goal is one post a week about the progress of my garden. True garden fanatics have been thinking about spring and their garden since the first seed catalogs arrived in December.
I spent January drawing plans for the garden, selecting and ordering seed. Now the seeds that I ordered have arrived I am ready to start the growing season. Not going to be starting tomatoes and other warm season plants just yet. It is too early, will wait until around April 1 to do that.
Going to start with a couple of cool season crops. First a new variety of lettuce and a little later some spinach. Will start the lettuce in one of my Aerogardens and then transplant into an Earthbox to grow to harvest. Will direct sow the spinach into Earthbox. Will keep the Earthboxes in our west room. This room is a three season room which means it is unheated. The average temperature of the room during this time of year is around 60F; even when the outside temperature is below 0F the temperature in the room is never below 50F. A temperature in the low 60's would be an ideal temperature for lettuce and spinach. The room also has a lot of windows letting in a lot light which is good but will still need to supplement with grow lights.
Started the lettuce seed on February 1st in one of my Aerogardens. An Aerogarden is a compact hydroponic growing system that I have been using the past several years to grow herbs such as basil and cilantro. I also use it to grow transplants for the garden. While the Aerogarden is somewhat expensive it really is worth the money.
I planted 1 seed in each of seven cells on February 1 and here is what I have today, Feb 8.
Next post I will share with you the variety of lettuce I am growing and information about the Earthboxes that I will use to grow the lettuce to maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment